There are up to ten other advertisers as well as ten organic listings vying for a searcher’s attention. There are also things like site-links and universal search results like Twitter feeds, videos and images that all take attention away from the adverts. The search engine results pages are a competitive arena and unless you can write an advert that grabs attention and entices a click-through, then you will be in trouble.
Here are some tips for writing adverts:
- Look at what competitors are saying. Can you base your advert on a different message, to stand out?
- Put your keywords in your headline and in one of the description lines
- Put your keyword at the end of the display URL, even if that exact URL doesn’t exist on your website
- You are allowed an exclamation mark in your advert. Use it!
- Incentives like “30% off ” and “Half Price Sale” can bring much higher clicks
- Capitalise all first letters of words. For example “Sports Trainers Sale”
- Create a sense of urgency to really drive up Click-Through-Rates and often drive up sales: “Buy Now”, “Call Now”, “Offer Ends Soon”, “Only 5 Spaces Left”, etc.
- Test out prices and dates to see if your market is time sensitive or price sensitive.
- Try out dates and prices to see if these work
- Try out emotive and exciting words like Discover, Explore, Control, Love, etc.